Thursday, March 24, 2011

Banana Bran Muffins

So I came up with this recipe by combining a few different ones I found online. I'm pretty happy with them - they're hearty yet still delicious and moist. I really like the subtle taste of the cinnamon and nutmeg. I ate a couple and the rest are going to be breakfasts for a little while. School gets pretty hectic some times, so it's nice to have stuff already made for days I'm really busy or just don't want to cook.



Banana Bran Muffins
1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp warm water
3 mashed bananas
1/2 cup soy milk
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups bran flakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 400 and grease or line your muffin tins (I tend to grease mine so I don't waste a ton of wrappers, or I have silicone ones I sometimes use). Mix the flax and water to make an "egg". Add the rest of the wet ingredients, ensuring the bran flakes get wet. Let sit for ten minutes and stir so that the bran flakes are broken up. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients and spoon into tins. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Makes 12. 

On a separate note, a birdy flew into my house while I was baking and died. I felt so sad, and didn't know what to do with the little guy because we have way too much snow to bury him. The only thing I could think of was to throw him (or her?) in the garbage (this was google's suggestion), but I felt horrible about that. I ended up wrapping him in a nice piece of fabric I brought back from Uganda and putting him in a little bag before placing him in the garbage. It was the nicest thing I could think of to do. Poor birdy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment