Monday, January 3, 2011

Baba's Nobby Apple Cake

We had a bunch of Granny Smith apples about to go bad, so Mom suggested I try out my Baba's recipe for Nobby Apple Cake. I wanted to double check with Mom before I posted the recipe, but she was fine with it. :)

Nobby Apple Cake
1 tbsp ground flax + 5 tbsp warm water
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1 cup sugar
3 cup chopped apple
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup flour

Whisk flax and water and set aside. Cream margarine and sugar, then add flax and water mixture. Cream. Add chopped apple, nuts, baking powder and soda, and spices. Add flour last and stir to combine. Transfer to a greased pan. Bake 45 minutes at 350.

The cake was nice and gooey and absolutely delicious. I'm glad I thought to put the cake in my heart pan. It was the perfect size. :)

(Just to clarify, the original recipe was not vegan; I just made a couple minor modifications)

2 comments:

  1. Caitlin you nobby apple cake is lovely. I thought it was my eyes at first seeing the heart shape then I read further that you used a heart shaped tin. Lovely.

    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And a Happy New Year to you, as well. Your blog is awesome, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete