Monday, December 27, 2010

Hot Wingz and Scalloped Potatoes



Tonight I decided to try the infamous Hot Wingz from Vegan Dad, and they did not disappoint! I didn't have panko bread crumbs, so I toasted the bread crumbs I did have for 6 minutes at 325 to dry them out. At 2 and 4 minutes I took them out and gave them a quick shake. I also didn't have the chicken broth powder called for and felt too lazy to make it, so I used two veggie bullion cubes instead. Otherwise I followed the recipe pretty closely. I don't have a ton of experience with seitan, so I didn't feel like this was the time to experiment too much! For the hot sauce I only used 1/4 cup (I used Franks Red Hot), since I'm not a huge fan of super spicy things. They were just about the perfect level of spice for me. They were a little doughy when they came out at first so I popped them back in for five extra minutes, and they were much better after that. I will definitely try this again with a different sauce.

We had scalloped potatoes last night for dinner, and despite large amounts of time in the oven they were pretty crunchy. I decided to have some of the leftovers with tonights dinner so I popped them into a casserole dish and gave them about 40 minutes, and they were perfect. I used this recipe from glutenfreegoddess, and altered it to my tastes.

Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
4 potatoes, washed and sliced into medallions (We used the food processor, which gave fairly consistent thickness)

2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 tbsp tahini
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp dried mustard

Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to form a thick paste, for about 30 seconds. Add the non-dairy milk and stir until it comes to a boil and thickens. Reduce heat and add nutritional yeast, tahini, salt, garlic, onion, and mustard. (My sauce didn't thicken all that well so I ended up adding some cornstarch.)

Lay the potatoes down in layers, adding sauce to each layer. Cook for at least 1.5 hrs at 350F (Original recipe called for 50 min cover and 10-15 additional uncovered). Potatoes should be tender when poked with a fork. As I said, ours were pretty crunchy despite quite a while in the oven, but that is probably because we quadrupled the recipe.

I also had a little frozen corn with my dinner. Between the corn, scalloped potatoes, and crispy wingz it felt like a Southern meal. I also had a giant glass of chocolate soy milk. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment